Tetraplegia, also known as quadriplegia, is paralysis caused by illness or injury that results in the partial or total loss of use of all four limbs and torso; paraplegia is similar but does not affect the arms.
Sub C3 describes my level of the spinal cord injury, it means the last vertebrae which works is C3 and underneath there is the damage. C4 and C5 are broken, so is the belonging spinal cord.
Higher is worse and my paralyze is very high and probably complete, the doctors are saying. The corresponding parts of the body are completely affected by their sensibility and movement.
I got the full package, can’t move or feel my hands or legs.
C4 damage is quite a game changer:
- the diaphragm, the most important breathing muscle is affected. Some people concerned can’t breath by their own. Luckily I can. However coughing and sneezing is a daily challenge, mainly to prevent pneumonia.
- the extensor muscle is affected, the possibility to move the hand up and down is gone.
Conclusions currently for my all day activities:
- can’t drink myself
- can’t eat myself
- can’t wash or brush teeth myself
- can’t transfer myself from and to bed
- can’t catheter myself
- need to use power wheelchair with head and chin control for driving
- can’t click keyboard, computer mouse or any touch device like a smartphone
This is why care, assistance and technology is so important for me. But this is expensive and this is why my health insurance hesitates paying for . However I will fight to integrate into social life, if necessary with legal support.
Here is my proof: This is my first blog post I wrote on my own without any personal assistance , just with the help of technology.